Monday, October 20, 2008

Screaming at the Greek


I got invited (by a friend not Spike TV) to the Spike Scream awards Saturday night. My first Hollywood or Hollyweird award show. I was skeptical until I walked in and saw all the freaks, geeks, special effects, acrobats and alcohol. And the Greek is such a great venue. Outside in a forest under the movie lights like Disney land for adults.

The show started out with, my favorite funny chubster, Kevin Smith and ended with a tribute to George Lucas featuring the man himself and 20 or so stormtroopers. People went nuts screaming and cheering he stood there with the award for almost 10 minutes until people calmed down and let the man speak.



There were also tributes to Anthony Hopkins, Wes Craven, and Stan Lee.



And Marylin Manson was there, of course.



My favorite of the night was my hero Tim Burton arriving to the stage in an air balloon of sorts. It was like being in one of his movies for a moment. Film Geek heaven. I would love to work for that man.




The Dark Night took home about half the awards at the end of the night. Nolan winning for the screenplay and directing as well as awards for Heath and other cast and winning best picture.