Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Creative Binge

Last week I was on a creative high pretty much all week. The music filled weekend inspired me. The high lasted a week 'till Sunday I came crashing down. I'm not an musician, but music always inspires me to write and make art and so I did. Here's some work in progress and finished pieces.







It was all because of the LA Weekly Detour Festival, one of the coolest festivals I've ever been to. Usually festivals are in these outdoor amphitheatre, parking lots, or desert like settings, but this one was downtown LA. And it wasn't just like a street or two blocked off it was a huge area surrounding city hall. All the bus stops, sculptures, fountains, etc were fair game. There was even a DJ stage in the outdoor foyer of city hall. At night a rave like dance party was happening in there. Something you don't normally see at city hall, not to mention everyone getting stoned on the city hall steps.

DJ Stage


I took the metro downtown and when I got off just followed the music. Downtown should be like that all the time. It was a perfect day only in the 70's and overcast with a little bit of rain - rare for LA.

Grand Ole Party - so good, she rocks, my new favorite band



Datarock - love them

Black Lips - always a party, one of the guys threw up during the last song, classic but tame for them


They also toilet papered us.


Mars Volta - they went on and on and on ever song was an epic I didn't stick around long too 5 years ago

Cut Copy - such fun
Last but not least Gogol Bordello
Pre-show back stage

They were so amazing. One of the best shows ever. So much energy.



And for the finale one of the girls rode her drum into the crowd.